Monday, November 26, 2012

Copyrighting

If you have been paying attention to the Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/masqueradegame), you'll know that as of Friday, November 23rd, Masquerade has applied for copyright. What does this mean basically though?

Well, aside from being one of the goals I wanted to complete before the Kickstarter on December 1st, copyrighting the game and novel is going to be what protects it should the project become a hit. Legally, no one will be able to "steal" the idea of Masquerade. Really anything can get copyrighted so long as it's an original idea and in fact I was debating if Masquerade needed copyrighting or not.

Combined with this blogs, which systematically dates each post, and my saved files I have proof that Masquerade is an original idea created by me at a specific date. No other person in the world should be able to prove me wrong in that respect. What copyrighting is, or at least the copyright I applied for, is essentially adding a date for the government or courts to refer to should there ever be a legal issue over intellectual property. I know that sounds absolutely complicated, but trust me when I say it makes more sense to the blood sucking lawyers than it does to me.

It other news, I printed out the first officially bound hard copy of the Masquerade novel. It's quite long and heavy, but what do you guys think?



With under a week left to start the Kickstarter, the only thing I have yet to do is edit the video together. That's my goal this week, wish me luck! I'll post it on the blog the moment it's completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment