Sunday, October 7, 2012

Count Lance Wymund: A Character Study

I promised I'd make you guys a new character study page for you to read, so I did! This time around it's a character more prominent in the book, Count Lance Wymund!

As I said above, Lance Wymund is much more of prominent figure in the book than in the actual game, though don't mistake that for a second. In the card game, Wymund is named Lance the Bastard and can have an 8 Attack (strong enough to kill the King) so long as the King or Queen are in play. This makes him a great situational card if you're willing to put up with him for that long.

My father abandons me and I'M the bastard!?
While in the card game Lance is a commoner, in the book I decided to make him a noble with the last name Wymund (which is actually the name of one of the squires in the card game, whoops!) Within the story, he is one of the big five characters who I wanted to make the main focus about, the other four being Mary the Mute, Gunter Newgate, Queen Beatrice, and King Alric Dacre.

Not wishing to spoil anything in the story, but Wymund's role is far more reaching than it initially appears to be. I don't want to say his name in the card game gives it anyway exactly...But Lance is indeed a bastard in both the game and book. In the book, he was adopted by the kindhearted nobleman Thaddeus Wymund, who dies of an illness around the time Lance comes of age to inherit his step-father's property. That's pretty much where the story picks up for him.

Personality wise, many people who have read the story said they find him charming. That was the point of his character type, a young, dashing, and alluring count who's a bit of an idealist. Around chapter 7 or 8, readers will see that he directly clashes with the main antagonist, the Emperor of Berma, with how to properly run a country. That conflict has some interesting results that propels the story into the Rising Action.

Count Wymund borrowed from the Count of Monte Cristo for a lot of his inspiration, though his name Lance was actually taken from my favorite Pokemon game, embarrassingly enough. His name, Wymund, was a spin on a type of dragon as well, so I guess you can say he's a rather used character. But I think readers will be surprised by the twist in the story by the end of the book enough to forgive me for that, I haven't told you guys EVERYTHING yet.

Always interesting and probably a figurehead of my own ideals of leading, Wymund is definitely a joy to write for every scene he's in.

No comments:

Post a Comment