Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What Makes a Good Story?



Now that I can sit down and iterate on my thoughts a little bit better, I can safely say that I can agree with myself mostly in this blog. What does make a good story? To me that's characters and how they shape the world around them.

I'm on record for being a huge lover of comic books like Batman, Watchmen, etc. What drives me to keep reading those works is how interesting the characters are in the plot (I'm a huge fan of Rorschach by the way). But as I say in the video, it's more than that. They work off of each other and are just generally engaging to watch, even if it's just two characters having breakfast with each other.

I have a little theory that I'd be willing to test for my next novel, when I get to write it that is. I bet that it's possible to write an incredible story with just five well-developed and thought out characters doing just about anything in the novel.

But my question to you guys is what you think makes a good story? Correct me if I'm wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment